Monday, January 3, 2011

The Good, The Bad... (and the Ugly)

Like everyone else this time of year, I am looking back at the year behind me and wanting to take stock a little bit.  I figure the best way to know what you want to accomplish is to take a serious look at where you are.  So here it is.  (Warning...this may be TMI for some people.  If this is you stop reading now!!)

The Good
  • I have lost 96 lbs to date.
  • I have removed a 2 from the front of my clothes size, have all new clothes, and shopping is fun!!
  • I don't even know what my cholesterol was before I began but now my good is higher than my bad.
  • My whole family is making healthier choices.
  • I finally re-sized my rings (two whole sizes) and am so happy I did it!
  • My BMI is healthy and my Body Fat Percentage is on the border of athletic.
  • I can bench press nearly half my body weight (when my shoulder will let me).
  • I bought my good running shoes, am properly stretching, and am up to running 6-8 minutes at a time with 2 minute recoveries.  And no shin pain!
  • I feel like I can do anything I set my mind to.
The Bad
  • Still struggling with shoulder pain and I'm limited in what I can do in weightlifting.
  • In the beginning I probably lost weight too fast.  I really struggled with significant low blood pressure issues.  This has gotten better, but I still have some "grey days" and postural hypotension (plummeting blood pressure when you change position quickly).  Doctors say it might be from the rapid weight loss, or maybe just the way I am at a lower weight.  Also say it may get better, or may not.  Helpful, huh?
  • An all new wardrobe is really expensive.  And I will probably have to do it again in the spring as I am a different size than I was last summer.
  • I am still bordering on obsessive about what I eat.  I am getting a little better.  There have been several days where I have not logged anything I ate until after dinner, and I found that I can do pretty well eating by instinct at this point.
  • I feel like I can do anything I set my mind to, even when I can't.
The Ugly
  • Still hashing out what a conservative 37 year old should and shouldn't wear, even if she can.
  • Even at a healthy weight there are things about my body I will have to accept as consequences of a life of being obese.  (It requires an awful lot of skin to hold an excess of 96 lbs).
  • I honestly always thought there was not really a big emotional aspect to my obesity.  WRONG!  Losing the weight has made me feel really vulnerable in a number of ways.  I am still working through dealing with some of the things about myself I never wanted to face.  Believe, me, some of it is really ugly.
  • I feel like I can do anything I set my mind to, even when I shouldn't.
The Year to Come
  • Work toward running a 5K.  People keep asking me if I have picked one yet.  My answer is no.  Why?  Because if I pick an arbitrary date I will set wisdom aside and hurt myself trying to reach it.  I know at this point I have the determination to stick to my goal.  I would rather work toward it in a sensible way and pick one when I know my body is ready.
  • I would like to lose 4 more pounds to reach a solid 100 lb weight loss.  I want to have the self discipline to do this slowly and wisely.
  • Next New Year, I want my blog to indicate that (with the exception of the 4 lb loss) I am pretty much the same weight I am now.
  • Learn how to live in moderation, and not at extremes.
  • Being completely "me" in my relationships is a priority.  I want to get over my fear of vulnerability and failure and rejection.
  • Meet God face to face daily, as I am, without excuses, to better be the person He is making me to be.  (Wow, I've got such a long way to go)
  • Develop the wisdom to know what I can, can't, should, and shouldn't do, and the maturity to follow through.
Your turn.  I need some inspiration.  What have you accomplished this year?  What are your priorities in the year to come?

No comments:

Post a Comment